Having a hard time copying root filesystem to new drive...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:48:38 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> 8)  mounted the new / partition to /mnt
> 9)  cd /mnt
> 10) cp -a /{bin,dev,etc,home,lib,opt,proc,root,opt,sbin,selinux,srv,sys,tftpboot,usr,var} .
>     Note: Copy of dev, proc and sys does report errors as far as links and sockets, but
>           otherwise I assume this is ok, since how else is one to get these copied over?
> 11) Manually added the mount directories: boot, mnt, media
> 12) Manually added the otherwise empty directories: misc, net, tmp
>     and manually set the chmods and permissions

A 'cp --one-file-system -a / /mnt' should have done the same...

> 11) edited /etc/fstab with new labels - different from original fstab
[...]
> 21) edit /etc/fstab and ensure labels are correct

You also have to edit /etc/grub.conf (actually the target of its symlink
which may not be there if you haven't mounted your /boot in its relative
position).  From rescue mode you might mount the /boot partition
somewhere, then look for grub/grub.conf.  The root= in the kernel lines
have to match where your new / partition will be.

Hmmm... You should be able to hit a key to get to the grub prompt when
booting and edit this on the fly instead of a rescue boot again.  Then
once you are running, edit /etc/grub.conf.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com