F8 is a problem

Bruce Byfield bbyfield at axion.net
Sat Jan 19 01:59:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 18:20 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> >>    But I DO worry why I can't get F8 to work. It works a few days and
> >> then goes to hell. So I am back here on F7 which seems to work well.
> >> At least the audio is good and I can do things I must.

Other people have a problem here and there with Fedora 8, but you are
the only person I have encountered who has major problems every couple
of days. Possibly you have stablized your Fedora 7 install, but I seem
to remember you having similar rounds of problems with it. Your
problem-solving techniques seem very unsystematic, and you are far too
quick to declare that something is broken. I am not trying to put you
down, but all these observations suggest that the problem isn't with the
software most of the time, but with how you are exploring it.

You might have better luck if you asked questions before you tried
anything major. Also, you might consider making a backup of your system
before trying any major change so that you can restore your system when
disaster strikes, and keeping systematic notes of what you have done so
that people can help you better. These measures alone would make your
life (to say nothing of your interactions on this list) much less
angst-ridden.

Perhaps, too, you might start a thread abouts how to explore your
system, and see what other advice people can give.

Just a thought,
--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada