How do i use gnome-keyring without a password prompt? (not gdm pam)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jan 19 02:30:13 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> gnome_keyring_pam is supposed to do this, but it's not working.  There's
> a post in the archives about configuring it so it does work, but I
> hadn't had a chance to try it.

Every time I've tried such solution it doesn't work.
> The idea is, if you use your login password as your keyring password,
> you won't be prompted.
>
> Why would you want no password?
Because you are not in a situation where it is necessary to have one,
and don't appreciate some developer deciding that you have to do it
their way, because they think it is a good idea to require a password.

Unless your keyring is on an external USB key, it really doesn't protect
you that much anyway - just adds another layer that can fail causing you
headaches when you can't do what you need to do because the freakin'
keyring manager is broken.

I had Dad's WEP key in my keyring working perfect in FC6 - but the
freakin' keyring manager in F8 was broken and would not connect, so
every time I tried to connect, it would ask me for the WEP key and then
ask to store it in the keyring (where it had already been stored in FC6)
- and regardless of whether or not I would allow it to, connection would
fail and it would prompt me for the WEP key again.

Switched to CentOS and guess what - it grabbed the wep key out of the
keyring and connected no problem.

When the keyring is broken, as it was for me in Fedora 8 with
[b]several[/b] applications, it literally breaks the ability to do
normal stuff on your system.

rm -rf / && yum install ubuntu.
I bet the F8 keyring issues resulted in some of that with new users.

If you are doing sensitive connections, maybe a keyring password is a
good idea - but you can have multiple keyrings, so why not have a
keyring with no password for stuff that really doesn't need that level
of security and use a second keyring with password for stuff that does
need that kind of security?