I just wanted to burn a CD from a .iso

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 19 02:44:08 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm knee deep in bugs/problems.
>
> I just wanted to burn a .iso file to a CD.  (Why is another sad
> story.)  On my desktop F7 x86_64 system.
>
> I tried k3b, my normal tool.  Tools: Burn CD Image.  When I clicked
> "Start", it hung, not even updating the window damage.

Are you sure the drive is working? Did you put a writable CD or DVD in
the drive? And if you are writing to DVD, is the DVD the proper type, of
+R or -R?

Have you run `mount` to see the optical drive device?

I don't often need to burn a CD or DVD -- today was my first time in a
while that I've done it. I much prefer using flash drives to transport
files. Capacities are generally larger, and flash drives seem less prone
to damage than CD/DVD media.

If I must burn a DVD, I like to use growisofs.

Bob Cochran