F8 is a problem

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jan 19 14:11:46 UTC 2008

Martin Marques wrote:

> But Fedora 8 is the worst release so far (I have used Fedora since FC1
> and RHL before).

Don't people say that after every Redhat/Fedora release?

In my experience, every release has a couple of problems.
In my case, F-8 caused fewer problems than any I remember.
Also, it doesn't seem to me very different to F-7.

I find the Live CDs really useful,
since one can put them on a USB stick,
and see if there are any serious problems before installing.

I thought of trying the re-spin,
but I looked at the jigdo stuff,
and decided life was too short for that.

The only serious problem I had this time was with WiFi.
As far as I can see, I only got it working
when I went into /etc/udev/rules.d
and edited "70-persistent-net.rules".
I hate to think that is really necessary.

A good WiFi tutorial would be a godsend.
I mean one that says, "If you get this error,
then you should probably try that.
If that doesn't work, try the other."
All the WiFi documents I've read
seem to assume that whatever worked for the author
will also work for everyone else in the world,
whatever devices they are using.