F8 is a problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 19 14:28:40 UTC 2008

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Other people have a problem here and there with Fedora 8, but you are
> the only person I have encountered who has major problems every couple
> of days. Possibly you have stablized your Fedora 7 install, but I seem
> to remember you having similar rounds of problems with it. Your
> problem-solving techniques seem very unsystematic, and you are far too
> quick to declare that something is broken. I am not trying to put you
> down, but all these observations suggest that the problem isn't with the
> software most of the time, but with how you are exploring it.
>
> You might have better luck if you asked questions before you tried
> anything major. Also, you might consider making a backup of your system
> before trying any major change so that you can restore your system when
> disaster strikes, and keeping systematic notes of what you have done so
> that people can help you better. These measures alone would make your
> life (to say nothing of your interactions on this list) much less
> angst-ridden.
>
> Perhaps, too, you might start a thread abouts how to explore your
> system, and see what other advice people can give.
>
> Just a thought,

    You are right. I didn't give anyone what I did. The first thing I
did was rpm -e all the pulseaudio rpm's in the F8 DVD. Easy to replace.
Then I deleted all the pulseaudio rpm's from the updates. Easy to
replace. Last I removed the file Nigel said is key to turning off
pulseaudio.

    I can replace all of that and the system should be where it was when
I first turned it on. Might do that tomorrow.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User