VLC looses audio

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:22:42 UTC 2008

On 19/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 18/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> >
> >>     I just looked at updates for yesterday. As is usual I have no way to
> >> know what they do. Here is the list:
> >>

> > Sure you do!  Subscribe to fedora-package-announce, use the GUI
> > Software Updater, or display the package changelogs. Example:
> >
> >   rpm --query --changelog cairo | less
> >
> > And you don't need to be "root" for that.
> >

>     I tried your example and it gave me nothing I understand. It is
> possible I will never know what cairo does.

Argh, Karl, don't pretend you're stupid. You asked to learn about what
updates do, not what the packages itself contain. To display a package
description at a low level, run this
instead (or the short options, see "man rpm"):

  rpm --query --info cairo

Example:

$ rpm -qi cairo | tail -7
Cairo is a vector graphics library designed to provide high-quality
display and print output. Currently supported output targets include
the X Window System, OpenGL (via glitz), in-memory image buffers, and
image files (PDF, PostScript, and SVG).  Cairo is designed to produce
identical output on all output media while taking advantage of display
hardware acceleration when available (e.g. through the X Render
Extension or OpenGL).