Re: automatic installation of PAE-enabled kernel?

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| From: Michael A. Peters <mpeters mac com>

| If I'm not mistaken, some older via chipsets will result in kernel panic if
| booting a PAE kernel, which is why PAE is not default.

I thought that "everything" mainstream supported PAE from the Pentium
Pro on.  That turns out not to be the case.  Intel exception: the
original Pentium M and variantsdid not.

I thought PAE came into being with Pentium IV (probably in the Xeons). Intel chipsets I saw for the P III didn't support more than 512 Mbytes.

AMD didn't support PAE until the Athlon (my AMD K6 has no PAE; my
Athlon XP has PAE).

K6 is Pentium (pre Pentiun II). No surprise there.

VIA didn't support PAE until the C7.

--

Cheers
John