F8 is a problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 23:30:13 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>> I still have an Fedora 7 system, not because one version is
>> problematic over another but because I downloaded the image and never
>> burned a DVD for the other computer yet.
>>
> You don't have to burn the DVD if your computers are on the same
> network. I loop mounted the DVD image, created a bootable USB memory
> stick (The image is in the images directory, as well as instructions.)
> and do a HTML install. You can also burn a bootable CD, but I like to
> use the memory stick because it is reusable.
>
> I have also done an install from a DVD image on a hard drive, but I have
> a separate partition that does not get reformatted during an install.
>
> Mikkel

Thanks for pointing out the additional options. My wife put all of my
accessories away and I only recently found the DVD burner. The other
computers are here and there so a DVD is he best option since they vary
with manufacturer.
I like the USB stick idea and will investigate it later.
I guess I'm getting less enthusiastic about downloading a DVD so often.
I upgraded some Internet available computers from F7 to F8.
Since people refer to not being able to upgrade with F8 and need to do a
clean installation, I see no hurry to burn a DVD. The target computers
are upgrades from several years ago, from memory around 2004 and going
strong.

I truly would like to see an upgrade which offered new packages for
installation instead of just doin a straight upgrade and not offering
the improvements/changes.

Jim