Trying to rescue a hard disk -- weired feedback??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 20 16:20:43 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 14:02 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> If you don't want to remove the drive, you can try and recover the
>> partition table using a bootable CD. I keep a copy of the System
>> Rescue CD for tasks like this.
>
> Huh, mine knocks like a 52 Ford that tossed a rod, and I can't get the
> system to get past the kernel load during boot, if I attach that drive.
> I'll try the rescue CD, but I doubt it'll get any further. Ric

No, in your case, I do not think anything is going to help. It
sounds like the drive can not find track 0, is hunting for it, and
is knocking against the stop. The only fix I know of is to open it
up in a clean room, and repair the problem. (Replace the track 0
sensor if the drive uses one.) You can sometimes get the drive to
work long enough to get the data off by changing the orientation, or
as a last resort, by freezing the drive. (This is a one shot fix,
and may destroy the drive.)

Oh yes - the system should boot eventually, once the kernel gives up
on trying to read the drive. But this takes a while. (Unless you
need info from the drive to boot.)

Mikkel