Ahh, forget repo fusion :-).

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:04:09 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how feasible do you think it might
> be to give up on the overwhelmingly complex task of
> making all 3rd party software installation compatible,
> and instead make linux userland be able to install
> multiple incompatible packages (heck, be able to install
> both rpms and debs for that matter) in multiple "virtual
> roots"?

Why not just give up on any Linux install being compatible with any
other and compile everything statically instead - like the commercial
apps are forced to do since they can't count on anything in common among
distributions?

A few years ago I'd have argued the other way, but now the cost of disk
and RAM are orders of magnitude lower and the old line about how you can
fix a bug in all apps with a single library update is offset by the fact
that a 'yum update' would replace them all with the recompiled fix anyway.

It would at least be interesting to have the option of bloated but
bulletproof apps as a defense against developers that clearly don't care
about compatibility and likely never will.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com