Ahh, forget repo fusion :-).

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 20:22:52 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

>> Why not just give up on any Linux install being compatible with any
>> other and compile everything statically instead
>
> We tried that, and redhat has managed to produce a libc in which
> it is actually impossible to statically link a working
> program. All sorts of routines (pam related things like getpwuid
> for one example) drag in libraries dynamically, and when they do
> that in a static program, you then find you've managed to load
> two conflicting copies of malloc (or something equally destructive).
>
> Anyway, If I wanted to recompile everything to get it working,
> I'd just switch to gentoo, I was merely brainstorming the idea
> of a linux where you could run any program from any distro :-).

I didn't mean _you_ would recompile everything.  I was suggesting that
everything which is not compiled against the stock libs (as in the stuff
from alternate repos) would all be statically compiled so as to not
break when the stock versions do their frequent incompatible updates -
and a side effect would be to not introduce alternate/incompatible
libraries.  When a library changed in such a repo, I'd expect the repo
versions to be recompiled.  The only effect on the user side would be
larger updates in the cases where multiple applications use same libs.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com