dual boot Windows XP and Fedora 8

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 21 01:37:54 UTC 2008

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Is there anything on the web -- or does anyone know -- about a procedure
> for setting up a dual boot of Windows XP and Fedora 8? I have XP running
> on one of two hard drives and would like to install Fedora on the
> second. Thanks for the help!
>
> Jerry

The default for installing Fedora on computers with DOS or MS windows is
to add an entry in the bootloader called *other* and not touch the
existing windows partitions. You may need to manually select the
partition schemes if your second hard drive was formatted in ntfs or FAT
formats which is likely.
Usually you would want to setup a /boot partition of 100 MB, a swap
partition of roughly twice your memory, a /home partition for your user
stuff which would be fairly large and a / partition to handle everything
else.
You could also use the Windows disk utilities to unallocate the disk
space you want to use for Linux and allow the Fedora installer to
allocate the free space. It usually will make a 100 MB boot partition
and an LVM containing the swap partition it thinks is best and the rest
would be allocated to /.
You also can edit the name of other to something you prefer and select
whether you want Fedora or other to boot by default.
By default, you will see a vague screen for booting but if you pressed a
key a boot menu would unhide itself and show the other and Fedora choices.
Enjoy setting up a dual boot for Windows and Fedora. You should enjoy
the experience.

Jim

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.