X.org Keeps Dying Out Of The Blue

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 07:53:21 UTC 2008

Brian Mury wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 19:39 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what the problem could be; all I know is that randomly,
>> while I'm working on the desktop, my monitor goes dark and shows an
>> "Input Not Supported" message.
>>

> This has been happening to me as well on F8. I just hadn't gotten around
> to reporting it yet. FC1 through F7 were fine on this box, so it
> definitely looks like something F8 specific.
>
> I don't get the "Input Not Supported" message, but I suspect that is
> simply due to a different monitor. What I do see is the screen goes
> black, and the power LED on the monitor flickers every few seconds, the
> same way it does when the monitor switches resolutions/refresh rates.
>
> I can switch to a different console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 or whatever), then back
> to my desktop (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and everything is fine, no need to reboot,
> or restart X, or anything like that.
>
> BTW, I also have a Radeon 9200 card (which you mentioned in a later
> email). I am *not* using the ATI drivers.
>
> I do see some interesting stuff in my Xorg.0.log, but there are no
> timestamps in that log (why not???) which makes it hard to separate out
> the different occurrences. I've appended a line to the file so I will
> know where to look next time it happens.
>
> Basically I get a whole bunch of stuff that looks like this (but without
> timestamps I'm not sure where to start the copy & paste, not sure how
> useful this is to anyone):<redacted>

Well, here's mine as well:

(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
(II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us+inet"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"
(--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) <default pointer>: Core Pointer
(==) <default pointer>: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) <default pointer>: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) <default pointer>: Buttons: 9
(**) <default pointer>: Sensitivity: 1
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default pointer>" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) <default pointer>: Setting mouse protocol to "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
BOGUS LENGTH in write keyboard desc, expected 5352, got 5356
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
SetClientVersion: 0 9
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
disable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
enable montype: 1
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
[...]
(II) RADEON(0): RADEONRestoreMemMapRegisters() :
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION   : 0x1fff0000
(II) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION  : 0x27ff2000
finished PLL2
finished PLL1
Entering Restore TV
Restore TV PLL
Restore TVHV
Restore TV Restarts
Restore Timing Tables
Restore TV standard
Leaving Restore TV
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xf89ae000 at 0xb7fd7000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.