Where do you put all your HTML stuff on a home Linux server?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Mon Jan 21 08:04:09 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 January 2008 22:54, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >> /srv is the 'right' place, unfortunately many (all?) linux
> >> distributions don't use it.
> >
> > SuSE uses it. I hope Fedora will too.
>
> Why?
> It seems to me much simpler to follow the apache default
> /var/www/html , if you are using apache.

Well, in my case, easyness of backup. I run http, mysql, samba, ftp and
torrent services on the same machine. Fedora having short lifetime, I prefer
to have all that in one directory. Otherwise, I would need to
backup /var/www/html, /var/lib/mysql, /wherever/samba-shared, /whatever/ftp/dir
and /srv/torrent.

Besides, I believe /srv is the official standard for this, why not use it?

:-)
Marko