Off Topic: can anyone recommend a USB KVM

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Mon Jan 21 14:11:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 03:45:18PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Not when I've looked.  Most KVMs were either all PS/2 or all USB, inputs
> and outputs.  Ones that were a converter in the middle were the least
> common available products, around here.

Well, as I mentioned, Raritan has a USB/PS2 combo switch--all USB for
the keyboard and mouse, and on the computer side either use a combination
monitor/ audio/PS2 mouse and keyboard cable, or use that cable only for
video and audio and a USB cable for mouse & keyboard.

I'm conflicted by this unit--I can't decide if I can recommend it or now.
On the one hand, I'm using the 4-port model in my own network as I speak,
and it's been rock-solid.  I've got the 2-port at a couple of clients, and
it's occasionally locked up for both of them--but runs for weeks between
incidents.  When it locks, it's a bit of a PITA--it has a transformer,
but clearly draws power from the host machines, since you have to unplug
*everything* to reset it.  MOST of the time, that will reset everything;
very occasionally, you have to reboot the controlled computers.  THAT is
a royal PITA.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.