HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jan 21 15:51:49 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 16:16 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> I was hoping that you could name just one commercially available USB
>>> cable that was not usable for USB 2.0
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Somehow I can't imagine how unimportant that question is....  But, if
>> you want me to pick you up a few of them from the cheap computer swap
>> shops here in Taipei I'll get a few and send them to you.  While I'm at
>> it, I'll even get you some cheap CDs or DVDs that produce coasters 5-10%
>> of the time.
>>
> ----
> I've made my share of coasters but that is an entirely separate topic.

No, it isn't.

There are substandard products everywhere one looks.  And there are
products that were built to satisfy a given standard but don't pass
muster when the standard is updated.  You just seem bent on trying to
have Tim name a given product that will work on USB 1.0 but won't work
on USB 2.0.   Frankly, it is boring.

I don't doubt that there are cables out there that work perfectly well
with USB 1.0 and fail with USB 2.0.  Just like I don't doubt that there
are 10BaseT cables that work just fine at 10Mbps and not so good at
100Mbps....because I have experienced that end of the spectrum.  But, I
don't have to see them and touch them to know they exist.

They exist.  And, frankly, having been on the hardware end of
manufacturing super computers, I could tell you some wonderful stories
about coaxial cables used in the Control Data Cyber 205.  But, you
probably won't believe me either.

Oh, that that "supervisor" that wasn't concerned or wouldn't even
consider a cable problem is just plan...well how can I put
it...ahhh....wrong.

But, tell you what....you can go on believing what you will.

But, it is truly unimportant why you are trying to "prove".  So,
whatever.....