Example of get nVidia

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jan 21 16:24:50 UTC 2008

    Here is how I think answers to questions should look like.

Question: How can I tell if my computer is using a nVida video card?

Answer: Check what your computer hardware is. In a root terminal type
lspci and you will have something like this if you have it:

00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce
6100] (rev a2)

This is from my computer. If you see no nVidia anywhere then you do not
have a nVidia video card.

Question: How can I get the driver for my nVidia video card?

Answer: This is a two step procedure. We will want to yum install the
driver.

Step 1: For sure you have a fedora.repo in your yum repo storage. If you
have never installed another repo then you must get the livna repo.

    If you know you have other repo's in your system with a root
terminal cd /etc/yum.repo.d/ if your using F8. Here is how your
directory might look.

[root at k5di yum.repos.d]# ls
fedora-development.repo    fedora-updates.repo          livna.repo
Fedora-install-media.repo  fedora-updates-testing.repo  livna-testing.repo
fedora.repo                livna-devel.repo

If your directory does not have any livna.xxx files you need to
continue. If yours looks like mine go to step 2.

    To get the livna repo files in an rpm, you need to go to the livna
web page. Do this by putting livna into google. When there click on the
rectangle with your version of Fedora. A window will open up and when
you have the rpm downloaded you can leave the web page.

    On your system in a root terminal install the rpm you just
downloaded with # rpm -i filename.rpm and it should load without any
problem.
This completes Step 1.

Step 2: In this step we will get the proper files to set your Fedora so
it works with a nVidia VGA controller. The proper files are on the livna
computer so the easy way is to "yum" them. Use this method:

In a root terminal type   yum install kmod-nvidia. You should get 4 rpm
packages. When they are installed reboot your computer and it will come
up with the full features of nVidia video.

KFL

Karl