GNOME Session crashes after less then 10 seconds

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 21 17:56:43 UTC 2008

ghostdog wrote:
> Hello alltogether,
>
> i just upgraded my FC7 to F8 with yum. All works fine and looks
> nice. after this, i removed using yum several new programs, which
> i thought for my needless. this was majorly some multimedia
> programs like bluetooth support or cd burning programs. i have
> also disabled one or two services over the
> administration->service tool. an after this, the problems begun.
> after a restart, the login manager of gnome is displayed, but
> every acount (root or normal user) will be notice a error message
> like: Your session takes at least less than 10 second ... (it was
> displayed in german) and a firefox without window title, a xterm
> window (which doesnt work) and a square clock will be displayed.
>

> the harddisk contains enought free space, and the Xorg.log or the
> xsession-errors.log contains no addional informations.
>
> have anybody a hint for me? Thanks a lot.

Take a look in /var/log/messages. It may have a clue.

I can not tell from your description if you are getting the Gnome
desktop with these programs open, or if you are not getting a
desktop or window manager at all, or just the programs specified
running in the X server. It sounds like the later because you say
you do not get a title window. That sounds like you are getting the
fall back when it can the system can not find any windows managers.

You MAY be able to recover by running "yum groupinstall gnome" or
something like that. But this is just a guess at this point, with
the information you have given.

Mikkel