HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 21 18:16:01 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I could have sworn that the CAT 3 cable I used for networking was 4
> pair, and not 2 pair. I can remember some 2 pair cable use for POT
> connections, but every networking application was 4 pair. Now, both
> 10BaseT and 100BaseTx only use 2 pair, but the cable is normally 4 pair.
> Now, there is a difference a physical difference between CAT 3 and CAT
> 5, but it has more to do with how the pairs are twisted together then
> the number of wires. The number of wists/inch, and the relationship
> between the number of twists in each pair change the electrical
> characteristics of the cable. (Each pair has a different twist rate.) I
> think how the pairs are twisted together in the cable is also specified.

Not enough coffee - Both CAT 3 and CAT 5 cable are available in
different number of pairs, but 4 pair tends to be the most common in
CAT 5 and CAT5e. You want to have fun, try terminating a 100 pair
CAT 3 cable. At least with CAT 5, they tend to bundle each set of 5
pair in their own jacket inside the main cable. (I would rather have
them bundled in 4 pair groups - I hate wasting 5 pair of a 25 pair
cable when doing networking. I would rather have 5 groups of 4 pair
for a 20 pair cable.)

Mikkel