HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 21 19:22:35 UTC 2008

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 12:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Not enough coffee - Both CAT 3 and CAT 5 cable are available in
>> different number of pairs, but 4 pair tends to be the most common in
>> CAT 5 and CAT5e. You want to have fun, try terminating a 100 pair
>> CAT 3 cable. At least with CAT 5, they tend to bundle each set of 5
>> pair in their own jacket inside the main cable. (I would rather have
>> them bundled in 4 pair groups - I hate wasting 5 pair of a 25 pair
>> cable when doing networking. I would rather have 5 groups of 4 pair
>> for a 20 pair cable.)
>
> Most CAT5e 25-pair I've seen don't bundle five pairs in a separate
> jacket...it's just a standard 25-pair telco cable that meets 5e specs
> (and I've even seen CAT6 versions of the same cable).
>
> I've used the 5e stuff a BUNCH of times...typically to cross-connect
> racks using 24-port patch panels.  Each panel requires four 25-pair
> cables and you sacrifice a single pair per 25-pair cable.  I've pushed
> gigabit across it with no problems--I've even pushed 10GB across it with
> a bit less success (haven't tried the CAT6 version, but I don't design
> data centers much anymore).
I wonder it the difference was that we were using all plenum rated
cable? We were running between floors and through firewalls. Like
you, we had 24 port rack mounted patch panels on both ends. We also
had routers and a lot of patch panels for wall jacks on one end. The
other end was in the server room. (About 500,000' of 4 pair CAT 5
installed.)

Mikkel