[Bulk] Re: The Name of the Lord.

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 19:53:28 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi Ric;
>
> Just sitting here Sunday morning killing time before I actually do
> something useful.  Thought I would add my 2¢.
I am religious and I'll add my 2 cents.
In the cultural context that the verse was written, the name of a god
was used to call upon the power of the god. That's why it was such a big
deal when God revealed his covenant name to Jacob.

When you don't take the cultural context of the time/region of what it
meant to use the name of a god into your understanding of the passage,
you end up mis-interpreting it.

Unfortunately most Bible translations do a poor job at noting these
cultural things in their footnotes, so all kinds of funny
interpretations result.