Re: [Bulk] Re: The Name of the Lord.

William Case wrote:
Hi Ric;

Just sitting here Sunday morning killing time before I actually do
something useful.  Thought I would add my 2ยข.
I am religious and I'll add my 2 cents.
In the cultural context that the verse was written, the name of a god was used to call upon the power of the god. That's why it was such a big deal when God revealed his covenant name to Jacob.

When you don't take the cultural context of the time/region of what it meant to use the name of a god into your understanding of the passage, you end up mis-interpreting it.

Unfortunately most Bible translations do a poor job at noting these cultural things in their footnotes, so all kinds of funny interpretations result.