more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:34:23 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
>

>> On Jan 9, 2008 2:54 AM, Alexander Apprich
>> <a.apprich at science-computing.de> wrote:

>> I found this to be informative.
>>
>> I've not used vnc for about 10 years, since Windows 95.
>>
>> It works differently than I remember.  In the old days, when I would
>> use vnc, I would see the programs that were running on the other
>> system, and I'd take control of the keyboard and mouse of the other
>> system. It was handy for practical jokes where we would make people's
>> PCs do crazy stuff.
>>

> ok, here's what i've been able to figure out, and others can fix any
> errors before i wiki it.
>
> on the server side, run:
>
>   $ x0vncserver PasswordFile=/home/rpjday/.vnc/passwd
>
> (or whichever password file represents the appropriate user.
> according to the man page, you *must* specify a VNC password file to
> be used, which makes sense.)
>
>   when you do that, you'll see something like:
> Sun Jan 20 10:17:12 2008
>  main:        XTest extension present - version 2.2
>  main:        Listening on port 5900
>
>   then, on the client side, connect to that exact port:
>
>   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.200::5900
>
> that appears to give me the remote control over that desktop session.
>
>   thoughts?
>
> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca
> Fedora Cookbook:    http://crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Fedora_Cookbook

Worked for me, however, I tried it on the same computer (localhost) and
it got a whole bunch of cascading windows and I could barely exit!  Now,
I just wonder what the best practice it to do this automaticly on boot.
I'd rather do this for my MythTV box than log in as the same user on a
different session.

Richard