VNC and native X display with vnc.so [Was: Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:49:18 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   on the server side i then restarted X (init 3; init 5) and, from the
> client side:
>
>   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.4:0
>
> and, lo, i get a VNC window, but it looks like crap -- jagged
> graphics, underneath which you can vaguely see that, yes, it is trying
> to represent the remote desktop, and the remote control does work but,
> clearly, i have some work to do here.

As I recall now, that's why I quit using it. I was getting one chunk of
the screen twice and the rest was fuzzy.  I think I got some advice
suggesting it was related to the underlying video card but I gave up and
haven't noticed any announcements saying it was fixed.

I just haven't been able to keep up with the "let's rename everything
arbitrarily so the old docs don't apply" and breaking things that used
to work games that most of the linux distros are playing and I have to
wonder if anyone actually uses them for anything where they need a
configuration and data to last more than a few months.

vino is a possible replacement, but it doesn't start until you are
logged in and have your desktop running.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com