Re: VNC and native X display with vnc.so [Was: Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC]

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  on the server side i then restarted X (init 3; init 5) and, from the
client side:

  $ vncviewer 192.168.1.4:0

and, lo, i get a VNC window, but it looks like crap -- jagged
graphics, underneath which you can vaguely see that, yes, it is trying
to represent the remote desktop, and the remote control does work but,
clearly, i have some work to do here.

As I recall now, that's why I quit using it. I was getting one chunk of the screen twice and the rest was fuzzy. I think I got some advice suggesting it was related to the underlying video card but I gave up and haven't noticed any announcements saying it was fixed.

I just haven't been able to keep up with the "let's rename everything arbitrarily so the old docs don't apply" and breaking things that used to work games that most of the linux distros are playing and I have to wonder if anyone actually uses them for anything where they need a configuration and data to last more than a few months.

vino is a possible replacement, but it doesn't start until you are logged in and have your desktop running.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com