Firefox, mutt, kicker, konsole crash after FC8 update

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jan 22 15:50:18 UTC 2008

M. Fioretti wrote, On 01/18/2008 09:55 AM:

<SNIP>
> About the disk, what would the best way to see if it's not working
> properly anymore?

If you want to keep the file system... and it is ext[23] with internal journal:
e2fsck -fy -k -c -c -v device

if you just want to test to see if a reinstall is worth it...
boot with a rescue disk
do NOT mount any of the file systems
badblocks -s -v -w device
where device is either the whole device, or run the command for each
partition, and remember to backup first as the above command pretty much
blanks the drive.

On very large disks, 100GB+, the commands can take a few hours, i.e., often it
is cheaper to just go get a new faster disk. :)

Anaconda grump... I have not seen a way to tell anaconda 'check ro or rw for
badblocks before/while creating my file systems and swap'.

--
Todd Denniston