livna video drivers for idiots

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jan 22 21:22:24 UTC 2008

Abhishek Rane wrote:
> but still it should be like whenever a user tries to enable desktop
> effects it should give the user an option to download restricted
> drivers instead of showing "desktop effects could not be enabled"
> (which confuses a new user )

Back in FC3 or something like that - Fedora had some video package that
would tell the user to install RealPlayer - and the list was full of
complaints about it.

I don't think Fedora should endorse the closed source drivers/software -
they do sometimes mis-behave, and the Fedora developers can't do squat
about it - so Fedora itself should not recommend them.

But I don't mind it being as easy as possible for new users (who may not
understand yum etc.) to get them.