CD and DVD ISO images

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 23 05:00:23 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:

> | If the DVD (and the ISO DVD image) contained CD images, then I could
> | easily burn a set of CDs. I could insert the DVD and burn from there. Or
> | I could do something like this:
> | mount -o loop,ro <dvd image> /mnt/cdrom
> | and proceed as if I had a DVD mounted at /mnt/cdrom.
> |
> | APC magazine and the others might include a script just to help burn
> | CDs, it's not hard for someone with basic linux skills (IE the person
> | downloading or creating a DVD image).
>

> I understand your point. My post was a solution to your, and your mate's,
> problem. Whom I saw as a real person and not a mythical person.
>
> As for a script to make CDs from a DVD. That I have never seen. There was
> at one time a script to go the other way. To make an installable DVD from
> a set of CDs.

Such a script might be on the DVD and basically be an elaboration,
perhaps with GUI, of
for D in *.iso
  do read -p "Insert a new CD, press <enter> when ready "
   cdrecord -eject -sao $D
   echo Label that disk $(basename $D .iso)
  done

> It has been discussed, and I do not know what the decision was, or if one
> was made, that Fedora 9 have CD's.
>
> I, myself, have looked at the Live CD's. They are missing basically
> nothing that Joe Average User would need. For me? It was Thunderbird and
> four other small programs with which you probably are are not familiar.

try me:-)

I haven't tried live CDs, apart from Knoppix and recently a Ubuntu I
know how they work, and one needs a generous amount of RAM. The Ubuntu
live CD thrashed and thrashed and thrashed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait