Fwd: ports

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 23 05:22:57 UTC 2008

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
>  p.s. yes I did send this to tomcat users, but somehow that
>  address got marked as "spam" and it bounced.
>

> We used to run tomcat on port 8080 (I think this is default).
> We switched to port 80 (default http port) because some
> customers blocked port 8080.

As I do:-) [1]

> Now dome pages/scripts still look for port 8080 and no longer
> get Tomcat.
>
> Is there anyway to forward or redirect from 8080 to 80 so
> if someone goes to
>
>  http://myurl.com
>
> they will get Tomcat, BUT Also if they
> go to
>
>  http://myurl.com:8080
>
> it will still work, and they will get the same Tomcat?

I would use iptables as proposed by Tim. As a user I don't like http
redirects. There are various things you can do in Apache, but the
iptables solution is pretty straightforward.

It still doesn't cater for those clients who block port 8080 though.

[1] I also block facebook, myspace, *chat*, *teen*, and anything else
the kids like.

--

Cheers
John