Please send

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Wed Jan 23 08:27:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 20:11 -0500, Jacques B. wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 8:01 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 23/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> > >     I can't forward to the offender because my address is just sent back
> > > to me so please send this to him:
> > >
> > >   Hi. you are forwarding the fedora list to me. Please stop doing that.
> > >
> > > dherbert66 at gmail.com
> > >
> > > Karl
> >
> > I would not assume that there's a real person behind that address.
> > You may need to send an abuse complaint to Google. Consider it likely
> > that somebody opened a Google Mail account with faked data.
> >

> > --
> >

> My thoughts exactly when I saw Karl's plea for help to which you
> responded.  Sounds like someone created an account for that purpose
> only (or ultimately abandoned it for that purpose).  Your only avenue
> is an abuse complaint with Google.  Fortunately Google logs IP
> addresses during account creation and account access.  So they can
> pursue the matter with the ISP or company who owns that IP.  Not sure
> what they will require to pursue it to that extent.

I've sent dozens of such requests to Google over the last year and
sadly, I've never gotten either a problem resolution or even an
automated response from their system acknowledging receipt of the mail.

If anybody here has ever had a positive experience in this regard, I'd
very much like to hear in detail about the experience.

Andy