CD and DVD ISO images

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Jan 23 10:15:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 13:04 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:

> >> Well, you keep mentioning "Neither helps install sans network" and
> >> statements that seem to indicate that lack of network is part of the
> >> hurdle.
> > yes, both of
> > 1. No good network.
> > 2. CD drive but not DVD.
> >>
> >> I've never had a problem to install on a system without a DVD drive
> >> but a good network connection.  I've used the "Live CD" method or
> >> downloaded the DVD iso and did a network install.
> >
> > My proposal addresses the cases of no DVD drive but CD, and no good
> > networking.
>
> In that case I'm still suggesting that fedora is not the wisest choice of
> distro.

Why not?  And who are you to make that decision for me?

I like cutting-edge applications and dev tools.  I'm used to RH admin
tools.  My 1GHz T-Bird  is acceptably (though not blindingly) fast with
F8, for the things I use it for.  The 500MHz P-III in my closet is an
adequate home print/backup/network server with F8.  Having all my
machines running the same version of the OS is a great convenience.  The
only issue is I need a DVD drive someplace so I can do network installs.
I happen to have one in the house[1], but if I didn't and I lived
further out in the country (many people out here still have no DSL or
cable service!), I'd be SOL.

[1] So far, about the only thing it gets used for is upgrading Fedora.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu