[OT] Re: The Name of the Lord.

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Jan 23 14:14:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 01:57 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wed January 23 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
> > "But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is
> > more than these cometh of evil."
> >
> > 1100? Wazzat? Anyone have a guess? Ric
>
> Matthew 5:37

Call me dense, but this Rev. thinks they are trying to equate something
in the overall context of the passage that actually makes no sense.
Perhaps exegetic methods of study have cost me my sense of humor...

If you read the entire passage as opposed to the verse alone, which
consists of 2 short sentences (NET version), Jesus is talking about not
taking oaths in the name of God (because you as man can't make that kind
of promise), or of things created / set apart by God (because, if you
read other passages, you know this is called idolatry).

The OP appears to be trying to link (poorly) this one verse to being
binary, when really what Jesus' meaning here is to speak simply and keep
your word (you know - have some integrity).

There are 10 kinds of people out there;
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Only two things are infinite,