F key mapping and added X session

Barry Yu barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 23 17:07:12 UTC 2008

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote: On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 08:46 -0800, Barry Yu wrote:
> I started F8 as regular user and login desktop, then I opened the
> terminal and su - root,  then started a new X session by issuing
> command : startx - - :1, new X session came active, then I press Ctrl
> +Alt+F7 to go back to the first X session opened by regular user who
> started the F8, no problem at all. But when I wanted to change back to
> the new added X session which opened by root, I could only use key
> combination Ctrl+Alt+F9; I found that X Window 0 is mapped to F7, X
> Window 1 is mapped to F9 and not F8 nor F10/F11/F12.  My question is
> when start adding a new X window session, should the relative F key
> mapping starts from F8? Or I missed something as I described on above?

For curisosity's sake, do you use RHGB?  And if you do, but boot up
without it for a change, does this still happen?  I notice that RHGB
starts up on a different terminal screen than you get from ALT F7.
Perhaps it hasn't fully let go.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

What is RHGB? I only started F8 normally and when thek login screen came up then I input my regular user account into desktop (Which is X window 0 and mapped with F7 key- I assumed), then from there I open a terminal and su - root, then from there I startx --:1 to open an additional x session. The result is F7 key works with first X window session (Regular user account login when I started F8), and only F9 (not any other F key) can switch me into the added X window session (Which was created by root. suppose I could be switching 2 different X window session by Ctrl+Alt+ F7/F8 but now F7/F9 instead, everything works fine except the F key sequence issue. Throughout I never intended to start additional program manually. And if by any chance I start something unintentionally (such as RHGB), how can I know and how to get rid of it?