OT: unathorized network user.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 23 18:28:06 UTC 2008

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:33:06 +0900
> John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>>  At least, blacklist
>> his MAC. It's not much protection, but it will stop the ignorant.
>
> I set up a TrendNet wireless router the other day that had a setting for
> entering authorized MAC addresses.  I assumed that meant it would only allow MAC
> addresses on that list to  connect and anything else would be ignored.

Some routers will limit connections to specific MAC addresses if you
enable that. Others will let you blacklist specific MAC addresses.
Some offer both options. (You may only be able to use one option at
a time.) Either method can limit accidental connections, but will
not do much to stop a deliberate connection attempt. It is too easy
to change the MAC address you are using. Then again, WEP does not
protect your network all that well either.

Where WEP or limiting MAC addresses helps is if

        someone uses your network to break the law - you had things
locked, but somebody broke in. Kind of like if someone steals you
car and crashes it - if they had to break in to steal it, you are
better off then if you had left it unlocked with the keys in it.

Mikkel