Re: Passing password in ssh

On Jan 22, 2008 6:27 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> While having a pass phrase (not password) on a ssh key is normally a
> good idea. But if you need to connect to a remote machine as part of a
> cron job, a key without a pass phrase, if set up properly, is not that
> big of a security risk.

I wouldn't say it's not a big risk - more like it is a risk that you
have to manage by controlling access to the account where the keys are
readable - and physical access to the media where they are stored.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com

Controlling access to the media storing the keys and accounts is of my greatest
concern in particular if the system is located in some other city and someone
else admins the machine.

Maybe I'm too paranoid.

~af