Controlling HTTP & SMTP IP flow for 3 NIC's

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 24 00:34:41 UTC 2008

Tim Alberts wrote:
> A little background first..I run 2 servers, mail and web.  The mail
> server is down for hardware problems.  I'm running both email and web on
> one server.  The web server has 3 network interfaces 1 for public email,
> 1 for public web, and 1 for private network.  I use 3 cards because the
> router I connect to the internet won't recognize multiple IP's for a
> single hardware MAC.
>
> The problem is, that my email messages seem to be going out the web
> network interface.  This is typically not a problem except for the
> reverse DNS lookup  fails which at least one domain (Comcast.Net) rejects.
>
> My question therefore is, how can I route my sendmail traffic to go out
> the correct ethernet interface?  I'm sure I'll need to do the same for
> the web traffic so web site spoofing alarms are triggered.
>
> I have told sendmail to listen to the correct interfaces, but that
> apparently doesn't mean only write to those interfaces.  I don't see how
> to control this by setting up my routes and I can only really think of
> ways to block it in IPtables, not re-route it.

The problem arises in part because of the complexity of the network.

I run several servers (smtp, ssh, www, imap), and they all work
perfectly well from a single IP address, so I wonder, Why do you need so
many?

In some cases, the services are served from different boxes; ssh to
where I work and it terminates on my desktop, smtp on another goes to
one server or another, depending on where you are. It's how I receive
email to this address from some locations, but _you_ can't email to it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait