Re: OT: unathorized network user.

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:33:06 +0900
John Summerfield <debian herakles homelinux org> wrote:

At least, blacklist his MAC. It's not much protection, but it will stop the ignorant.

I set up a TrendNet wireless router the other day that had a setting for
entering authorized MAC addresses. I assumed that meant it would only allow MAC
addresses on that list to  connect and anything else would be ignored.

Some routers will limit connections to specific MAC addresses if you enable that. Others will let you blacklist specific MAC addresses. Some offer both options. (You may only be able to use one option at a time.) Either method can limit accidental connections, but will not do much to stop a deliberate connection attempt. It is too easy to change the MAC address you are using. Then again, WEP does not protect your network all that well either.

WEP's good for about two minutes these days.
the ifconfig seems able to set the hw address. I've not tried this, and I don't know whether it extends to wireless.

Certainly, I could set the MAC address in OS/2. For use I did it on a SUN Lunchbox - had to, its battery was flat.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait