DVD playback under F8 fails - need troubleshooting help

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jan 24 17:03:03 UTC 2008

I am confused here. I have a fresh F8 install on a Celeron 1.8 based
system which declines to play dvds placed into the system dvd drive. The
livna repository is also installed by rpm, and provides the multimedia
software.  Running mplayer from the command line gives an error message
from libdvdread (think I got that spelled right) with an assertion failure.
gxine, xine, vlc, and (of course) Totem all fail to play also.

What irritates me is that a different machine with F8 runs the dvd
playback just fine.

Any bright ideas of where to start looking (systematically looking this
time).

Thanks for the assistance