OT: unathorized network user.

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:28:36 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:20 PM, Jacques B. <jjrboucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008 4:15 PM, Bazooka Joe <fastfish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ahh, all true. But if we all ran open wireless networks then the cops
> > would know that this could be an open network and would handle it
> > differently.  Right now they assume one ip one person because people
> > like you keep it that way.
> >

> #1 - You will not get everybody to run open wireless APs.  Most people
> recognize the insecurities and potential harmful consequences of that.
>
> #2 - So you are suggesting we should make things more difficult for
> police to track down pedophiles, people launching DDOS, spammers, etc?
>  Make it yet more convenient for these people to further hide their
> activities?
>
> Jacques B.

Inconvenience is sometimes necessary to maintain a free society.  Crackers
will get on your network whether you want them to or not. How about if
someone gets onto your "secure" network and launches a Denial of Service
attack on the DoD, by your rationale the authorities would throw your ass in
jail because it came from your ip. Is that fair?

-Max