DVD playback under F8 fails - need troubleshooting help

Carlos Alberto Alves drcaa at predialnet.com.br
Thu Jan 24 21:29:16 UTC 2008

tom wrote:

> I am confused here. I have a fresh F8 install on a Celeron 1.8 based
> system which declines to play dvds placed into the system dvd drive. The
> livna repository is also installed by rpm, and provides the multimedia
> software.  Running mplayer from the command line gives an error message
> from libdvdread (think I got that spelled right) with an assertion
> failure. gxine, xine, vlc, and (of course) Totem all fail to play also.
>
> What irritates me is that a different machine with F8 runs the dvd
> playback just fine.
>
> Any bright ideas of where to start looking (systematically looking this
> time).
>
> Thanks for the assistance

You can find "libdvdread" in tar.gz format, compile and install it. My
FC6 box only plays DVD's with this lib installed.
HTH,
* Carlos Alberto Alves                       *
* Child Neurologist                          *
* Systems Analyst/ASUS Certified Professional*
* Rio de Janeiro, Brazil                     *
* Skype: carlos-aa                           *
* mailto:drcaa at click21.com.br                *
* mailto:drcaa at predialnet.com.br             *