OT: unathorized network user.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 00:15:53 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Ian Malone wrote:
>
>> Starbucks (in fact, TMobile, or whoever happens to be running
>> the franchise) is acting as an ISP in that case.
>
> OK, then pick any number of other establishments that have WiFi that
> don't act as their own ISP....and their are many for crying out loud.

It's not that I'm picking holes in your choice of example.
IANAL.  And I didn't elaborate because the circumstances will
vary according to local laws.  Telecoms providers must have
some protection against being held responsible for all the
damage their users can do, otherwise no-one would ever run
a telecoms company; at the same time negligently allowing
others access to the internet could allow them to cause a lot
of damage.  The existence of a contract to provide a service
is an important part of this: you promise not to do anything
bad and in return they let you use the network, with the
understanding that if you /do/ do anything bad they will not
hesitate in helping to track you down and string you up.

See also 'safe harbour' and 'good-faith'.

--
imalone