basic bluetooth question

I am running F8 on a Dell 1721 laptop. After I boot, and run hciconfig, sometimes there is output, and other time none. Can anybody please inform me if anything required in modprobe.conf. I would also like to know where hcid is spawned from, etc. I have restarted /etc/init.d/bluetooth and was not able to detect any change.

I have a Buetooth mouse and keyboard. When there is output from hciconfig, I can connect the devices.

Can somebody please help me with what needs to be configured?

Thanks
don