gtk2 update on fc8 SOLVED!

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Jan 25 06:53:51 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 13:47 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>> It should... as long as RPM DB is not corrupted.
>>> Being paranoid, I rather reinstall the RPM and reduce the risk.
>> I think I have been lucky over the years...knock on wood.  I've not found
>> myself in a situation where an "rpm -Uvh" or "rpm -ivh" has hung or my rpm
>> db became corrupted.  (I think I had a problem way back in the Red Hat 7,
>> not Fedora days....)  So, I've never seen the need to use --force.
>>
>> So, one last question(s), if the rpm db is corrupted isn't it likely that
>> "rpm -V" would fail?  Would a corrupted db cause other packages to fail
>> verification.  And finally, what are the chances that you'd have an
>> incorrectly installed rpm and an rpm db that was corrupted in such a manner
>> that the verification would succeed?
>>
>> As I said, I never have run into these kinds of problems....so these
>> questions have only just now popped into my head.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>

> P.S. Don't forget about %post.
> If say, a SELinux RPM transaction hangs, the rpm -V test results will be
> mostly irrelevant, as a lot of work is being done in %post.
> The only way to insure a fully-working installation is RPM -Uvh --force.

Hummm....  Have to think about that.

Do rpm installations actually manipulate SELinux policies/attributes? (Other
than the selinux rpms themselves)  If they do, then what prevents someone
from generating a rogue rpm that manipulates SELinux policies/attributes
outside of the installed/upgraded package?

Looks like I need to do some study...otherwise I won't be able to sleep at
night.  :-)