Mounting SD card with specific encoding

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:31:19 UTC 2008

Sorry for the late, late reply. I went out of the country, and when I
returned I have been uber-busy. Still am, but...

On 31/12/2007, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again Dotan Cohen!
>
> I was using the results of your good "Googeling" research when I ran
> across this:
>
> " Try a different cable. If the UHCI controller can operate the
> device, but the EHCI controller cannot, you either have a broken
> kernel build (unlikely) or the electrical connection cannot maintain
> the 480 megabit performance. "
>
> Here:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/12/msg00139.html
>
> Actually, extension cables are not permitted in the USB-2 standard.

There is never an extension cable in my setup. The only thing between
the SD card and the computer is the card reader.

> Also, when the drive is successfully mounted what is in messages  and
> the output of mount?  Also, can you successfully unmount the drive and
> then re-mount it by hand (perhaps not calling for the missing ISO
> file)?

I wish I had checked that... "sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd" no longer
mounts the card in a way that I can read the Hebrew: it's reverted
back to question marks for non-ASCII characters. The drive automounts
(whether I run "sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd" or not), but the non-ASCII
characters are always question marks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il