Fedora 8 and bitmap fonts

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jan 25 14:29:20 UTC 2008

Ralf Aumüller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it true that I can't use bitmap fonts (*.pcf) with Fedora 8 under X?
> (I read in http://www.xfree86.org/current/fonts2.html that you need
> the /usr/lib/xorg/modules/fonts/libbitmap module for the X-server
> which is not available under Fedora 8 - I know that Fedora uses xorg
> but isn't the structure the same - e.g the libfreetype and libtype1
> modules are available).
>
> Or do I understand something wrong?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ralf

I think you are understanding something wrong - specifically the X
server being used by Fedora. XFree86 was replaced by X.org several
years ago with most of the developers moving to the X.org fork. So
not much of the documentation at WWW.xfree86.org applies to the X
server you are running. http://www.x.org/wiki/

Mikkel