Wireless pci cards known to work with current Fedora kernels

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 15:19:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:45:07PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
> I am looking for a pci format wireless card that is known to work "out
> of the box" on current kernels.
>
> I would prefer 802.llg, but would also consider 802.11b cards.
>
> I don't care if it is a new model, I only care that I can obtain one
> from somewhere for a reasonable price.

Unless you have some way to identify the chipset in use by a given
card, this is basically impossible.  Vendors are notorious for selling
vastly different hardware under the exact same name and model number.
And in some cases (e.g. Atheros chipsets) even knowing the PCI ID of
the card is insufficient to determine whether or not it is supported.

At least now you have a much better shot at getting lucky with any
given purchase than you did even a year ago.  So, buy from a reputable
retailer and be familiar with their return policy just in case...sorry!

Good luck!

John
--
John W. Linville