Wireless (again)

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Fri Jan 25 19:52:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Al Thompson wrote:

> Well, I FINALLY got wireless working on my Compaq laptop.  I never got
> the interal Broadcom wlan working, but I got a Belkin USB wirless to
> work last night, after months of fiddling with it.
>
> Now I have one related problem:  My mouse is also USB, and whenever
> there is heavy wireless activity, my mouse doesn't work at all.  Is
> there
> a way around this, or is it just the nature of having two USB devices?
> I thought there was a way to "reserve" a certain bandwidth for each
> device, but can't find anything on it.

Good to hear that someone has had success on this front. I, too, have been
trying to get consistent WiFi results. I've been working with three
different NICs, one USB, the other two PCMCIA.

The one one with which I've been successful has been a Netgear WG111US
Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. However, its performance has been erratic. I can
successfully connect to my WAP, work for a while, and then the connection
drops. I notice that the device gets especially hot and am wondering if
this is the cause for its eventual failure. Comments?

On the PCMCIA front, I've been testing two cards: an old Linksys WPC111
(only 802.11b) and a Netgear WPNT511.

WPC111:
lcpci does not see the Linksys WPC111, but ifconfig -a does. I can assign
a static IP to the WPC111 and use other commands to configure it to work
with my WAP but I get no throughput.

WPNT511:
lscpi identifies the Netgear WPNT511, but ifconfig -a does not. I have
used ndiswrapper to load the appropriate driver and my results are still
the same.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 600m, btw.

I have no problem getting a PCMCIA Netgear Ethernet card (Linksys
EtherFast 10/100 Integrated CardBus PC Card PCM200B) to work, btw. W/o any
droppoff. The built-in Ethernet on the Laptop failed. Apparently, other
Inspiron 600m users have mentioned that the Ethernet port has high failure
rates.

As for wireless, some reviewes mention that the Dell Inspiron 600m has
been shipped with Wifi, either Centrino or a mini PCI card bolted into one
of the bays. This one appears to have neither. Or is there a tool/command
for checking for onboard Centrino.

Much thanks in advance for any replies.

> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.