Reinstall GRUB?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jan 25 20:03:25 UTC 2008

Doctor Who wrote:
> I recently added another hard drive to my machine.  Previously, I had
> 2 hard drives and Fedora was installed on one along with Vista.  I
> installed grub to Fedora''s root and used a 3rd party boot loader to
> access Fedora and other distros.
>
> Now that the 3rd SATA drive is installed, Fedora's grub is messed up
> because it's not on the drive it thinks it is (different order to
> drives now).  How can I go about 'fixing' Fedora's grub entry and
> re-installing grub to Fedora's root partition (not the MBR)?
>
> Thanks.

Probably the easiest way to to boot the rescue CD or the install
DVD/CD in the rescue mode, and have it mount your partitions. Then
edit your Grub configuration and run grub-install. (I am guessing
that you can not get to the Grub prompt because Grub is looking for
stage 1.5 in on the wrong drive.) If you are not using partition
labels, you will also have to edit /etc/fstab.

For editing, and re-installing Grub, I like to chroot to the mount
point for the root file system. But if you are not using partition
labels, the rescue mode will have problems mounting /boot and
possible other partitions because the information in /etc/fstab will
point to the wrong drive. In that case, you will end up having to
mount at least some of the partitions by hand before you can fix things.

I don't know your level of acknowledge, so ask about the steps you
need detailed explanations of. (or search the list) The different
steps have been covered more then once, but it isn't always easy to
find them.

Mikkel