PXEboot installation of Fedora-8?

ed at hp.uab.edu ed at hp.uab.edu
Fri Jan 25 23:46:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> No.
> I saw some mention of cobbler, but I didn't pursue it,
> as I didn't see any clear description of what it did.
>
> I spent some time - maybe 4 hours - trying to get PXEboot to work.
> But I didn't succeed.
> The nearest I got ended with the error above.
>
> I was rather disappointed with PXEboot.
> There didn't seem any recent documentation,
> and much of the documentation there was seemed to me ambiguous,
> or else it assumed knowledge I didn't have.
> The PXEboot instructions in the Fedora-8 Installation Guide
> seemed to me completely useless.
> I wasn't convinced the person who wrote them
> had ever actually tried what he was describing.
>
> My client laptop, and the tftp server seemed to work perfectly -
> it was after that, while actually trying to install Fedora-8,
> that the problems arose.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy

It is no small task to setup PXE booting on your network, it takes
cooperation between the DHCP/BOOTP server, the TFTP server, and for
Fedora a http or ftp server.

I have used PXELinux (http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php). I havn't read
any PXE instructions from the Fedora-8 Installation Guide, and if you are
following this article I can understand your confusion
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/NetworkInstall

I use a file at:
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

That has these lines:

prompt 1
timeout 20
label linux-f8
   kernel vmlinuz
   append initrd=initrd.img

The vmlinuz and initrd.img are found on the dvd in the pxe directory, and
they are in the /tftpboot directory.

This setup is unlike the installation process that is documented
in the Fedora-8 Guide.

ed