Wireless pci cards known to work with current Fedora kernels

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 26 00:12:31 UTC 2008

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:45:07PM -0600, Gerry Tool wrote:
>> I am looking for a pci format wireless card that is known to work "out
>> of the box" on current kernels.
>>
>> I would prefer 802.llg, but would also consider 802.11b cards.
>>
>> I don't care if it is a new model, I only care that I can obtain one
>> from somewhere for a reasonable price.
>
> Unless you have some way to identify the chipset in use by a given
> card, this is basically impossible.  Vendors are notorious for selling
> vastly different hardware under the exact same name and model number.
> And in some cases (e.g. Atheros chipsets) even knowing the PCI ID of
> the card is insufficient to determine whether or not it is supported.

That said, I've used several Atheros-based (dlink and tp-link) cards,
and not found one that does not work, but there is some (light) work to
do - download and install the madwifi drivers.

At least one vendor labels the boxes to identify whether they contain
Atheros or TI chips. AFAIK the TI-based cards are too light for
bookends, and have no other use.

> At least now you have a much better shot at getting lucky with any
> given purchase than you did even a year ago.  So, buy from a reputable
> retailer and be familiar with their return policy just in case...sorry!

Orinocco used to be good; I don't know about recent cards. I have an 11b
pccard and all that's needed is to plug it in.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait