PXEboot installation of Fedora-8?

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 03:56:56 UTC 2008

ed at hp.uab.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>

>> No.
>> I saw some mention of cobbler, but I didn't pursue it,
>> as I didn't see any clear description of what it did.
>>
>> I spent some time - maybe 4 hours - trying to get PXEboot to work.
>> But I didn't succeed.
>> The nearest I got ended with the error above.
>>
>> I was rather disappointed with PXEboot.
>> There didn't seem any recent documentation,
>> and much of the documentation there was seemed to me ambiguous,
>> or else it assumed knowledge I didn't have.
>> The PXEboot instructions in the Fedora-8 Installation Guide
>> seemed to me completely useless.
>> I wasn't convinced the person who wrote them
>> had ever actually tried what he was describing.
>>
>> My client laptop, and the tftp server seemed to work perfectly -
>> it was after that, while actually trying to install Fedora-8,
>> that the problems arose.
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Murphy
>
> It is no small task to setup PXE booting on your network, it takes
> cooperation between the DHCP/BOOTP server, the TFTP server, and for
> Fedora a http or ftp server.

Cobbler can do all of this for you. I am no guru but I found that
between google and the man pages I had sufficient info to get it
configured. The command: cobbler check  (just like that with the space
from a terminal as root) is a good way to figure out what needs
configured for proper operation. It makes life much easier if you let
cobbler do the dhcp for you.

-Max